Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Comcast Cares Day 2014

Saturday Mark and I volunteered at the Oregon Food Bank for
Comcast Cares Day. I was the project leader for Hands On.

Mark was proud to get his official t-shirt.
That's my boy!


Bill was our project leader for the Food Bank.
He was great. We were the second shift and he informed us that only half the volunteers for the first shift had shown up. Thank goodness we had quite a few show up: in fact more than they'd planned!
Bill was more than ready to put us to work.

Our first gig was to bag up apples that had been donated.
The apples were in pretty darn good shape: I'm so glad they were going to folks who would really appreciate them. What a great donation someone made.

Our group finished up the apples and went on to bagging up macaroni.



Mark's job was putting together boxes.
Here a young man helps stack the boxes that Mark made and I helped fill.

At the end of our volunteer time Bill shared the results of our hard work.
The Food Bank does so much good for others in need.

Afterwards we took ourselves to the Lucky Labrador for a beer and a sandwich.

We decided to not go to the 'gentlemen's club' across the street.

The funny part about all this?
At the center next door (it used to be a church) there was a Comcast Cares event going on.
We could have just gone next door to volunteer....
Oh well, we really enjoyed volunteering at the Food Bank, so it's all good. 
My job now? I tag all the pictures for Hands On Greater Portland in their Flickr account, so I will busy the next couple of weeks tagging the hundreds of pictures that will hopefully be posted to their Flickr account from this day. I can't wait to see all the good that was done!!!!

No comments: