Monday, May 21, 2012

Oh the places you'll go in Holland!

Time to start updating more pictures from our trip (my Dad loved them, so I'm loving putting them out there for him to see!).  We went to the old city in Holland.  Look at the church we came across.  Wow.

 Mark read the provided guide.  Lots of good information.

For instance: this is a painting of a young woman who was being pressured to marry a pagan king.  She didn't want to, prayed, and overnight God grew her a full beard so the king wouldn't want to marry her.  But sad to say she was crucified.

I loved the colors used in the church.

Lovedthe art throughout the country.  Loved it!

I was drawn to the buildings.  Wouldn't you be?

This is a resturant.

 Mark got pretty excited: he'd seen this cannon in a book and ran down to check it out.

This is one happy husband!

 We discovered a bridge.

On the other side of the bridge was a carnival. I adored the tent!!

 We couldn't figure out what this sign meant.  Did it mean that it was dangerous and you had to hold your child's hand at all times?  I later asked Cari and she said this meant walking only, and no cars or bikes.  Oh.  Glad it wasn't dangerous.

We wandered over to check out the chapels.  Or should I say what remains.  The castle here was taken apart to use the materials for building other buildings (believe it or not), but they did stop with this part of the chapel.  Thank goodness they saved part of it!

Impressive.

I found this very interesting.  SO glad they didn't tear the entire chapel down.

This is the other chapel for the castle.  The only parts of the castle that remain are the two chapels.  That was sad to realize.

This is a modle of how the caste looked.  I sure would have liked to have seen it intact. 

 \So glad this chapel is still intact.

Wandered through the park

Admired the art.

We started back to the train station.  I loved exploring Holland!!

No comments: