Monday, March 28, 2011

Family First

Been reading my family history books: a group in Kentucky sells them, and I have five. Three are from the May family (my Mom's mom's family) and two are from the Arnett family (her Dad's family).below is some information from my Grandmother's side, the Mays.

  • Caleb May, (1781-1827), married to Margareta Patrick (1783-1861). Her parents were Jeremiah and Sarah Partick. Margaret died at the age of 91 after a fall off a horse. Caleb was a Kentucky Baptist preacher and died from breast cancer.


  • James May (1911-1890), fifth child of Caleb May, married to Matilda Whitaker (1810-1854). Second wife was Elizabeth 'Betsy' Powers (1818-1889), a widow with 7 children. Matilda died Jan of 1854, and James married Betsy in June of that year.


  • Harmon May (1859-1940), son of James and Betsy, married to married Nancy Jane Adams (1864-1928).


  • William Ernest May (1886-1955) maried Evalina Gullett (1892-1945).


  • Amy Maxine Margaret May (1886-I believe she died in 1995) married John Richmond Arnett (1913-1986)-my grandparents. My sister and I would fight about who would marry Grandpa when we grew up (we adored him) and my Grandmother was one of the sweetest women who ever lived. I'm proud to be their granddaughter.

  • Erna Margaret Arnett Wiles (1935-2009) married to Charles Blymiller Wiles Jr. (1933-). Again, wonderful people to be proud of.


  • Mary Elaine Wiles Vander Yacht (1955-) married to Mark Steven Vander Yacht (1954-)


  • Cari Vander Yacht (1981-) Steven Charles Vander Yacht (1987-) Douglas Jay Vander Yacht (1987-)

5 comments:

Cari said...

Cari Vander Yacht 1981-FOREVER

Mary Jo said...

I didn't even look at your blog before I posted my last entry! Whoa!! So now you know your married to a man that is an 1/8 Icelandic. You just never know!

SBrown said...

I was wondering if you have the name of the KY group who is selling the May family books? I know the Friends of the Samuel May house sell volume I. I especially need the volume II which I can not locate for sale right now?? It is titled my family heritage some east ky roots volume II by bruce david may. If you have any other titles about the James Jim turkey man family i would love to have the titles. I live in OH. Please contact me shaundabrown@att.net
Thank you very much!

SBrown said...

I was wondering if you have the name of the KY group who is selling the May family books? I know the Friends of the Samuel May house sell volume I. I especially need the volume II which I can not locate for sale right now?? It is titled my family heritage some east ky roots volume II by bruce david may. If you have any other titles about the James Jim turkey man family i would love to have the titles. I live in OH. Please contact me shaundabrown@att.net
Thank you very much!

Linda's Stuff said...

The group in KY selling the books is the Magoffin County Historical Society in Salyersville, KY. You should be able to find them through Google or any other search engine.